List:       gcc
Subject:    Re: C99 Status - inttypes.h
From:       "Paulo J. Matos" <pocmatos () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-07-22 15:37:25

On 22/07/11 16:22, Joern Rennecke wrote:
>> I have to disagree, library issue means that it's an issue with the
>> library, not gcc.
>
> It still makes sense to clarify the language to indicate that, depending on
> the library used, this might be, in fact, a library non-issue.

We might be interpreting this differently. When I you it's a "library
issue", I understand it as begin something that has to do with the
library, not that it is a definite problem with the library. Therefore
if I want to see what's the feature status I should check the library
documentation. I didn't think that saying it is a library issue would
mean that it is definitely broken/missing in the library.

Then again my native language is not english. However, by raising this
you're proving your point. If we can avoid different interpretations
then better.

> I agree that trying to track every library there would be a maintenance
> burden, but giving one example of a library that works is meaningful.
> And, since GCC is still a GNU project, mentioning the status of GNU libc
> doesn't seem that arbitrary.

Even just listing the status of a single feature from GNU libc might be
dangerous. You're duplicating information that's probably available in
the manual anyway and risk publicizing out-dated information. Also,
you'll need someone to volunteer to keep track of the status of every
feature in glibc that's listed a library issue in the c99 page. A better
way to do this if you want to mention glibc would be to link to glibc
documentation directly. Something like:

"Status of this feature in glibc <http://.../libc/manual/...>"

--
PMatos