List:       gcc
Subject:    Re: Information regarding -fPIC support for Interix gcc
From:       "Murali Vemulapati" <murali.vemulapati () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-03-31 16:26:55

On 3/31/07, Mayank Kumar <mayank@microsoft.com> wrote:
> Further to this email, I did some more investigation, here is some more detailed \
> information about what I am doing:-
> 1: Compiled a shared library(tcl8.4.14) using -fPIC on gcc4.3.0 for interix(was \
>                 able to compile gcc 4.3.0 for interix)
> 2: The assembly generated for a particular region of code which causes a jmp to an \
> invalid location, obtained using gcc -S -fPIC is as follows:- movl    -20(%ebp), \
> %eax sall    $2, %eax
> movl    L32@GOTOFF(%ebx,%eax), %eax
> addl    %ebx, %eax
> jmp     *%eax
> .section        .rdata,"r"
> .balign 4
> L32:
> .long   L30@GOTOFF
>
> 3:the assembly generated while executing the binary linked with the shared library
> 0x100889dc <Tcl_ConvertCountedElement+246>:     mov    0xffffffec(%ebp),%eax
> 0x100889df <Tcl_ConvertCountedElement+249>:     shl    $0x2,%eax
> 0x100889e2 <Tcl_ConvertCountedElement+252>:     mov    0xffffbd14(%eax,%ebx,1),%eax
> 0x100889e9 <Tcl_ConvertCountedElement+259>:     add    %ebx,%eax
> 0x100889eb <Tcl_ConvertCountedElement+261>:     jmp    *%eax
>
> 4:Similar code compiled and run on a FreeBsd box using gcc shared library and fPIC \
> produces the following assembly:- 0x2810a1a8 <Tcl_ConvertCountedElement+244>:     \
> mov    0xffffffec(%ebp),%eax 0x2810a1ab <Tcl_ConvertCountedElement+247>:     shl    \
> $0x2,%eax 0x2810a1ae <Tcl_ConvertCountedElement+250>:     mov    \
> 0xffff4f14(%eax,%ebx,1),%eax 0x2810a1b5 <Tcl_ConvertCountedElement+257>:     add    \
> %ebx,%eax 0x2810a1b7 <Tcl_ConvertCountedElement+259>:     jmp    *%eax
>
> 5:So corresponding to
> -------movl    L32@GOTOFF(%ebx,%eax), %eax,
> The assembly generated on interix is
> ------- mov    0xffffbd14(%eax,%ebx,1),%eax
> Whereas on bsd box, it is
> ------- mov    0xffff4f14(%eax,%ebx,1),%eax
>
> Here the offset ffffbd14 in case of interix is wrong which is causing the jmp *eax \
> to jump to a different function.
> Now my questions are:-
> 1: What does L32@GOTOFF mean ? Is it at offset L32 in GOTOFF table ?

It means the offset of L32 from the symbol GLOBAL_OFFSET_TABLE. It looks
like this refers to a switch table. It is  indexing into a jump table and jmping
to that label.

> 2: Shld the value of L32@GOTOFF remain same for all machines for which the same \
>                 library/binary is compiled?
> 3: Does the above mean that the GLOBAL_OFFSET_TABLE is not being populated \
> correctly ? If that is so, why would this be interix specific?

The Global Offset Table (GOT) is generated by the linker. But this is
specific to Elf
binaries. The PECOFF ABI does not define a GOT. Nor does it support
the relocation types R_386_GOTOFF and R_386_GOT32.

> 4: I can see these offset's with objdump -D also, so I concluded that this could \
> not be a linker or loader issue but a compiler issue only. Which part of gcc code \
> should I refer for this issue? 5:Lastly, should I raise a bug in gcc Bugzilla to \
> track this and assign it to myself or what is the procedure to track this ?
> Any other help or pointers in this regard shld be useful in investigating further.
>
> NOTE: I could repro this issue with gcc4.3.0 compiler and linker/loader/assembler \
> same as the one that ships with Interix.

Now that you have successfully built gcc 4.3.0 on interix, please try
to apply my 4.3
patch and see if it generates correct code. The only difference in the
patch would be
to define TARGET_CYGMING to 1 in the file i386-interix.h.

> Thanks
> Mayank

Thanks
Murali