List:       gcc
Subject:    [steering] objective-c++
From:       Vin Fiano <ynniv () cc ! gatech ! edu>
Date:       2003-05-06 8:17:39

I am a student working on an Objective-C based application.  I have
taken a number of measures to keep my code compatible with GNUstep,
however I need to use a C++ library.  Doing so will restrict my code to
Mac OS X, which is an unfortunate loss.  I have heard that Apple has
submitted Objective-C++ patches to gcc, and that there is currently
indecision as to their inclusion in gcc.  In my experience with
GNUstep, I feel that Objective-C++ is vital to people's acceptance of
Objective-C as a programming environment.  While I was at first turned
off to the idea, I quickly realized that Objective-C++ should probably
not be used as a primary language, but is indispensable as a  bridge
between plentiful C++ libraries and the easy to program Objective-C
environment.  Without this bridge, the programmer is forced to write
shims in C, a painful process that is counter productive to OO
environments.  This makes Objective-C an unusable alternative from a
practical standpoint.

Should the question arise to whether Objective-C++ be included in gcc,
I hope that you would consider it an important addition.  I have found
Objective-C to be a powerful and fun language to work in, concepts that
I had almost forgotten through the years of my higher education.
GNUstep is the only environment for most people to work with it, and it
could use some more love.

I am sending this to you because of the GNUsteap FAQ at
http://www.gnustep.org/information/faq_1.html#SEC9.  It recommended
that I send requests for the addition of Objective-C++ to this address.

Sincerely,
Vincent Fiano
(ynniv@cc.gatech.edu)