List:       gcc
Subject:    Re: Creating a tag
From:       Michael Matz <matzmich () cs ! tu-berlin ! de>
Date:       2002-06-19 18:26:15

Hi,

On Wed, 19 Jun 2002, Mark Mitchell wrote:

> I'm trying to create a tag with "cvs tag".
>
> I started that operation at 9:00 AM; it's now 10:36 AM.  I've been
> watching "waiting for ...'s lock" messages go by that entire time.
> (With different lognames and directories over that time period, but
> with the same directories appearing more than once.)
>
> Does CVS refuse to grab a lock for me until it can grab locks in all of
> the directories at once, or some such?  (Such a protocol might be in
> use to avoid deadlock.)

I also believe something like this, yes.

> In any case, what am I supposed to do?  It looks like the load on the
> tree is heavy enough that it may be days before the entire tree is
> simultaneously unlocked.

I usually tag the toplevel dirs separately (or better the big, active
ones, i.e. libjava/, libstdc++-v3/, gcc/).  Then a local (-l) tag of the
toplevel dir, and then all the other toplevel dirs together.  Sometimes if
gcc/ takes too long I repeat a similar process inside the gcc directory
(tagging it without recursing, then all subdirs of it separately).  This
works much better than tagging the whole tree at once.

Ciao,
Michael.