List:       gcc
Subject:    Re: GCC 3.1 Released
From:       "Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28 () cam ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2002-05-16 18:29:35

On Thu, 16 May 2002, Mark Mitchell wrote:

> >> The release can be found in the file:
> >>
> >>   gcc/gcc-3.1/gcc-3.1.tar.gz
> >
> > Which in addition is symlinked by gcc/gcc-3.1.tar.gz.  I don't recall when
> > this habit started, but I would like to ask you to refrain from this
> > symlinking.
>
> I'm not sure where that originates; that's how the 3.0.x releases were
> done, so that's how I did this one.

The symlinks on ftp.gnu.org are needed for the automated extraction of
ChangeLog and NEWS files for
http://www.gnu.org/server/new-software.html
.
(Since contrib/gennews wasn't updated (item 1 of releasing.html), the
gcc/NEWS file extracted there for 3.1 isn't particularly useful, as it
doesn't include the 3.1 news.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk