List:       gcc
Subject:    Installing GC 3.0.1 on COMPAQ alpha
From:       "Anthony O'Hare" <anthony.ohare () thales-is ! com>
Date:       2001-10-31 16:32:25

I am trying to install GCC 3.0.1 on a Compaq alpha 4.0G server (TRU64 UNIX).

I understand, from the configuration guide, that binutils 2.11.2 is not
supported yet so I configured gcc without using the --with-gnu-as
or --with-gnu-ld. Everything seemed to compile and install ok but compiling
some code causes several hundred "weak symbol multiply defined" warnings.
Thus I assume that I have compiled gcc 3.0.1 with the compaq linker and
assembler.

I guess that these are coming form the (compaq) linker so I downloaded
binutils 2.11 and compiled that but I got warnings that the versions of ld
and gas are not supported on TRU64.

My question is this:
What is the earliset version of binutils that I can use to compile gcc 3.0.1
and what is that latest version of binutils (specifically the linker and
assember) that is supported on TRU64?
e.g. If I download binutils 2.9, will I be able to compile and install it on
my alpha and having done that can I use the gnu ld and gas to compile and
install gcc 3.0.1?

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.

Anthony O'Hare
Software Engineer
Thales Information Systems
Southmoor House