List:       gauntlet-user
Subject:    Errors in secure channel support (G4.1/BSD )
From:       "Frost, Timothy E" <timothy.frost () eds ! com>
Date:       1999-07-21 5:39:24

We are running gauntlet (still V4.1, not 4.2 or 5), under BSD/OS.

For policy reasons, we authenticate all Internet accesses, so are using
authenticated http.  We have about 600 users, and see very heavy usage on
the firewall (One day last week saw 600MB of inbound HTTP traffic)

During the day, when our Internet  connection is busy, attempts to access
secure sites such as Microsoft, IBMLink, and others, particularly sites
requiring authentication at the site, invariably result in errors.   The
problem is load-related, as it does NOT occur during the evening or at
weekends.
Netscape returns the error
	'Document contains no data'
IE4 and IE5 report
	'Error in secure channel support'

I have tuned the kernel to keep lots of processes, and lots of open
connections, to no avail.  The system appears to have plenty of resources
(memory, CPU cycles).

This problem is one that does not seem to be covered by the upgrades, either
to 4.2 or to 5.0.

While we are planning to migrate our firewall to a Solaris/SPARC platform,
with a newer release of Gauntlet, later this year, any suggestions for
immediate resolution of the problem will be gratefully received.

Version information:
gauntlet-version:
	ahttp	Ver 4.1/0
	http-gw	Ver 4.1/2

Patchlog: http.patch 7 a installed June 3.

Errors from http-gw report version 4.1/2.

Thanks, Tim

Timothy Frost			mailto:Timothy.Frost@nz.eds.com
EDS New Zealand			mailto:Timothy.Frost@eds.com
8 Gilmer Terrace			phone: +64-4-495-0504
P O Box 3647
Wellington