List:       gauntlet-user
Subject:    RE: Gauntlet NT review in LanTimes
From:       Frederick M Avolio <fred () avolio ! com>
Date:       1998-08-21 14:47:48

At 09:33 AM 8/21/98 -0500, Ferguson, Linwood wrote:
>I guess in a sense I'm one of those customers, and feel some obligation

Let me clarify.... I was not making a judgement as to whether "NT or
Nothing" was valid. I completely understand the need and want for the same
kind of box that you know and love and already have. I think it is a VALID
part of the decision making process.

Mainly, I wanted to point out what security professionals think is
important and what prospective customers do are often two different things,
and both valid, perhaps even equally valid (if one wants to make money :-)).

Linwood's arguments though could be used in favor of a black box or
appliance firewall. Some of them are quite good, if you don't care to get
at the OS or the source code.

Fred