List:       gauntlet-user
Subject:    Re: Apology
From:       Frederick M Avolio <avolio () tis ! com>
Date:       1998-03-26 15:45:33

In order to reply just to you, I have to hit Reply. That gets me

	To: gauntlet-user@rmsbus.com

Then I have to edit the To: field to delete that address and add
yours (I need to go back and look at your address in the headers,
since most MUA software copy just the body of the message into a
reply, and copy and paste it in.

Reply to all, and Reply in this instance does the same thing.

I say it is broken because it almost never is what the user expects.

>Actually, no, it is not the wrong behavior, that is the standard.

And I say in my opinion it is the wrong behavior. It may be the
standard behavior, so by that definition it is correct, but still
wrong.

But all I know about e-mail is from using it and what I read in
books.

But this is off topic probably and the list moderator is going to
crack down on me if he can reply to my email. :-)

At 09:25 AM 3/26/98 -0600, Erik Van Riper wrote:
>Frederick M Avolio wrote:
>>
>> Everyone should be forewarned, or reminded...  The way the list
>> server is set up, a Reply-to: header is added with
>> "gauntlet-user@rmsbus.com" as the value. I wish it wasn't. So, if
you
>>  Reply or Reply-to-all it is still going to go to the the whole
list
>> unless you edit your mail headers.
>>
>> If anyone on this list knows something about the software, perhaps
>> they can tell the owner of the list how to change this, as it is
>> surely wrong behavior.
>>
>> Fred
>>

>Actually, no, it is not the wrong behavior, that is the standard.
>
>At least, it is the way it has worked since listserv became widely
>used, keeping the conversation on the list, not taking everything
>private by default.
>
>--
>Erik Van Riper (EV34)                    Systems / Network
Administrator
>Midway Home Entertainment Inc.                     San Diego,
California