List:       gambas-devel
Subject:    Re: [Gambas-devel] To Tobias : about gb.ncurses interface
From:       tobi <tobias () gambas-buch ! de>
Date:       2012-06-10 9:25:52

> > I saw, you have "changed the version" but not already tagged in svn?
> =

> I will tag it in a few days I think. Just fixing some remaining bugs...
> =

> > Please, don't wait for me with that.
> =

> Just ensure that you will be able to keep the Gambas 3.2 gb.ncurses =

> interface in the next versions without changing everything.
> =

> Gambas 3.X must be able to run Gambas 3.Y code as soon as Y < X
> =

> > The differences in the debugger are overwhelming on the new
> > machine (migrated from 32 to 64 bits)... I could recently spot some str=
ange debugging output from
> > gb.ncurses: on my older, slower machine, the limit is far earlier reach=
ed than here but I seriously
> > get entire stack frames smashed when *excessively* hitting non-ascii ch=
ars on my keyboard - don't
> > ask me why because the only stack buffer I am using in this case, if I =
see correctly, is written to
> > by the kernel and only used by ncurses. Since there are no concurrent t=
hreads, I'm out of ideas so
> > far and consequently must step through the code in greater detail... Th=
at's where the new
> > environment comes in - and, of course, the period of big tests at the e=
nd of the school year.
> > 64 bit addresses only are really difficult to read if you're not used t=
o ;) I can even hardly read
> > the assembly code here...
> >
> > Sorry for the still unfinished interface, it must wait until 3.3 ;)
> >
> > Regards,
> > Tobi
> >
> =

> Have you used valgrind on your code? It may help...
> =

> -- =

> Beno=EEt Minisini
> =

-----
> Live Security Virtual Conference
> Exclusive live event will cover all the ways today's security and =

> threat landscape has changed and how IT managers can respond. Discussions =

> will include endpoint security, mobile security and the latest in malware =

> =

I have tried but when you just said that... Let me outline the situation:
- I have just tried enabling SSP (which if I remember correctly, arch linux=
 gcc does not do per
  default) but I get no corruption reported
- Contrary, I have a screenshot here that shows that the GB structure has i=
ts first 13 longs
  overridden with 0x40404040 (from my 32bit machine) and I wonder where tho=
se '@' come from!
- Sometimes I can get a resonable backtrace and just this minute I couldn't=
 get anything useful -
  totally scrambled

Isn't the stack one large memory area without holes? I don't know an option=
 to valgrind to get stack
corruption analysed - and stack smash is just an assumption - for me, valgr=
ind only reports
invalid r/w but those cannot occur on the stack, right?
Having SSP enabled, my program shouldn't have crashed with SIGSEGV but via =
abort() in case of stack
corruption, unless the error is non-trivial... That's interesting and Wedne=
sday the, for me, most
important test will be written, then I'll have some time left.

I better commit your interface suggestions now for 3.2, regardless of the s=
tate of this mess?

Regards,
Tobi

---