List:       gambas-devel
Subject:    Re: [Gambas-devel] Unused signals to be sent
From:       tobi <tobias () gambas-buch ! de>
Date:       2012-05-07 17:36:42

> > Are terminal programs run in an X11 terminual emulator concerned too?
> >

> I will try that under X the next days... It's very tricky: I need an fd on which I can use the
> console_ioctl(4)'s - another thing for the list of linux things, you want to avoid, maybe. Sorry, I
> read that statement just a few minutes ago and working on that NoDelay mode for a few days (idea
> came from Fabien who suggested to somehow bypass the keyboard repeat delay, on 15th April). The
> needed console_ioctl fd cannot even be a PTY and I don't think, X will let me do this easily but
> there will be a way around X restrictions by using X facilities, but I have to dig deeper into
> that stuff... (Hmm, reading that text, it doesn't sound that cool :| It's rather special purpose and
> the capability of switching to that mode can be tested by a property of Screen class so that the
> programmer can continue with a "delayed" mode which utilises ncurses directly. The NoDelay mode
> could be transparently use some X facility, if possible, that's no problem, I think)

I tried today, more accidentally, to use chvt(1) from within an X session. Result was "Couldn't get
a file descriptor referring to the console". You'll find that error message in getfd.c in the kbd
package. The routine in that file tries even more things than I do, in a similar way, so I have no
hope with my current code to get such an fd under X. I'm not the least familiar with X events and
stuff that might be promising in this case...

Regards,
Tobi