List:       gambas-devel
Subject:    [Fwd: Re: [Gambas-devel] About thread in gambas]
From:       Daniel Campos <dcamposf () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-08-21 16:41:31

["Re: [Gambas-devel] About thread in gambas" (message/rfc822)]

Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 21:41:57 +0200
From: Daniel Campos <danielcampos@netcourrier.com>
To:  gambas-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Gambas-devel] About thread in gambas

Fabien Bodard wrote:

>Hi to all,
>
>I've just one query ... Why not implement the Thread now in gambas... in the
>pre V2 version ?

It is a lot of work... all in the interpreter and components should be
thread-safe...

>And is that possible ? I talk about that because with qt or gtk we have some
>workaround with the timer ... but for console tools ? At less is there
>possible to make a component that do that ? (like the lib 'thread' in python)

It is possible to launch a thread from a component, in fact that's what
the DnsClient
object does to perform the asynchronous query to the DNS server.

If you just want a timer, it would be possible to create a Timer class
with a thread in order
to count time while the program is busy, however, may be Benoit could do
that
directly in the gbx program, may be using system signals, instead of using
threading...

In fact I do not like the timer attached to the graphical components,
but I think I should not use signals from a component, so it would be a
query for
Benoit.

Regards,

D. Campos