List:       gallery-devel
Subject:    Re: [Gallery-devel] Secured login but unencrypted content
From:       Bharat Mediratta <bharat () menalto ! com>
Date:       2009-05-14 20:00:10

Josef Eisl wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I use SSL encryption to secure the usernames and passwords sent my web
> server. No problem with text only pages but browsing a web gallery
> through an SSL channel is sometimes a little bit slow (my 'server' is
> attached to my normal Internet uplink (1mbit up) so bandwidth is very
> limited).
> So my idea is to redirect the login stuff to the SSL page but access the
> content via HTTP. In Gallery2 (at least releases before the secured
> cookie fix) this could be done with a few apache rewrite rules.
>
> Is there (or will there be) an easy way to do that with gallery3?
> I've installed g3 on my test server but unfortunately alpha3 does not
> work with HTTPS (https://apps.sourceforge.net/trac/gallery/ticket/218).
> Didn't tried the svn head yet.

As far as I know, the latest code in svn now works properly with https.
 As for making the authentication page be in https and the rest of the
app in http, that's going to be interesting.  In G2 we could do that
because the login page is a separate page request.  But in G3, the login
dialog is an HTML overlay and apparently with jquery if you try to
request an https dialog on an http page, it comes up on a new page.  Not
sure how to solve that yet.. perhaps somebody has an idea?

To test this out yourself, try editing modules/user/views/login.html.php
and change url::site("login/ajax")to  url::site("login/ajax", "https")
-- that'll change the Login link in the top right corner to https, then
you can fiddle around with it to see if you can get it working.