List:       gallery-devel
Subject:    [Gallery-devel] Re: 2nd Retry: Getting the Embedded Community
From:       kiz_0987 <g2develop () ozgreg ! com>
Date:       2006-11-27 23:33:01

Here's my 2c on this topic. I very much liked (and still do) the idea of having a \
community of integration developers, which is why I came on board on \
galleryembedded.com with the Drupal integration. Ozgreg has done a great job of \
supporting me in this and it's excellent to see the topic being addressed once again.

There is the area of support for the users of the integration -- documentation via a \
wiki and forums for support/bugs/feature requests. The former could be done on the \
Gallery2 codex, but I agree with ozgreg that some namespace separation/distinct \
sidebar/logo etc would be useful -- this is one thing that galleryembedded allowed \
and works well. Forums has always been an issue for the drupal integration -- the GMC \
forum needs to be split (as others have noted) and having to support (now) 3 \
different drupal versions means that some sub-splitting of forums would be useful. \
The drupal forums themselves are excellent for bug tracking etc (you can even link \
the CVS updates to the issue itself) but suffer from there not being a distinct forum \
for a module (just an issues tracker).

Of equal importance though for a community is to encourage ways of collaboration \
between the embed devs themselves and between the embed and Gallery2 devs. An \
excellent example of this is with Kirk's G2 image chooser. With just a few lines of \
code in the drupal integration a whole new set of great features was available. We \
need more of this type of thing. I also believe that we need more of trying to move \
common(ish) integration code back into Gallery2. I tried to come up with a class in \
the same way as the excellent G2EmbedDiscoveryUtilities.class to ease testing of an \
install (checking for the required modules, PHP memory check etc), but nobody else \
uses it I don't think. But I do believe that the idea of more G2 classes to bring \
into an embed app is a good one. It would ease new powerful features into all \
integrations.

One idea may be to have a separate voting system (ala GMC feature voting) where the \
embed devs can vote for features that would be useful to them (bulk user sync springs \
to mind ;-)) without it being drowned by all the other feature requests. These \
features could guide G2 developers if they are willing to make changes to G2, and may \
also split the load amongst the embed devs -- maybe with new G2 classes rather than \
reinventing methods each time.

Another area is demo sites. It would be good to have demo sites for each integration, \
in the same way as for themes. One that has the same data/photos for each (so that \
users can compare easily) and one that allows logging in so that users can see the \
admin stuff etc. There are always security issues associated with this part.

Finally (phew), source control is an issue. Right now there is a drupal integration \
module in the G2 svn tree, but (not that I've checked recently) it's out of date. \
There should be one main place for control (which would not be the G2 svn tree in the \
case of drupal embed) with others mirroring it if needed.

Gallery2 Embedded Forums (http://www.galleryembedded.com/forums/)