List:       gallery-devel
Subject:    [Gallery-devel] Soc 2006 Introduction: Russell Lee (aka Zimzat)
From:       Russell <zimzat () zimzat ! com>
Date:       2006-05-25 5:06:48

Howdy!

Ok ok, I don't normally use that greeting.

My name is Russell, although on the internet I'm more commonly just
called Zimzat. I actually prefer Zimzat online and in games but I'll
answer to either name in them. I live in Tennessee, USA (CDT/CST) and am
19 years old.

I first started programming around 9 or 10 when my brother introduced me
to Visual Basic 3. I followed that line all the way up to version 6. I
also dabbled in HTML on and off at the time, including mingling the two.
One such notable project was a program to dynamically generate a bunch
of HTML pages from text files (essentially a database). Soon after they
came out with the .NET version I took a break from programming for a while.

I started programming again by getting my feet wet in PHP. I applied
some phpBB2 upgrade patches to a guild forum and made some minor
MOD-type features for several forums. From there I created a comic
management system for a web comic which has been on and off hiatus for
the past year. Around the time it was ending I recreated a web-based
game called Xenocide 3001 as Imperial Kingdoms. The original creator
stopped maintaining the game and eventually let it die off so I took it
upon myself to remake it from scratch in PHP whereas the original was
made in Java.

For the Summer of Code I have been accepted to work on the Notification
module. I'm looking forward to learning more about how Gallery works and
hopefully learn some new techniques that I can bring to my other
projects. From everything I've heard in the IRC channel and seen from
the Gallery code I've looked at, Gallery has some top-notch programmers
that I will be happy working with.

If anyone would like to know anything else feel free to hit me up. :-)

- Russell (aka Zimzat)