List:       gallery-devel
Subject:    [Gallery-devel] Identifying search engine crawlers
From:       Don Seiler <don () seiler ! us>
Date:       2006-05-15 19:02:13

Per bug #1469384, I just added another crawler (ConveraCrawler) to the
list in GalleryUtilities::identifySearchEngine().

The user brings up a good point, and perhaps it has been discussed
previously, but is there possibly a better, more pro-active way to
identify search crawlers?  Right now we can update
GalleryUtilities.class, but then most users won't get the change until
the next release.

Normally it probably wouldn't matter, but users that have my Ratings
module loaded and allow Everyone to submit ratings will find that an
unidentified search engine crawler will submit hundreds to thousands of
ratings.

Secondary to this would be me getting back on the Gallery horse and
adding some kind of admin interface to Ratings to allow an admin to
prune unwanted ratings.  Again that is re-active.

Perhaps we could store the identified crawler UserAgent strings in the
database, and allow admins to add more as he/she sees them?  We could
then allow them to report new ones to us to update our stock install.

Don.
--
Don Seiler
don@seiler.us