List:       gallery-devel
Subject:    Re: [Gallery-devel] G2 Database Questions
From:       "Bharat Mediratta" <bharat () menalto ! com>
Date:       2003-02-17 22:25:06

From: "delusion_" <delusion_@speakeasy.net>
> Forgive me if this has already been answered, but.. How will the data
> interaction work in G2 compared to G1? Will there be the ability to define
> different "wrapper" for each database type? For instance, have a wrapper
> that interfaces to an XML file or such, or a wrapper to interface with
> MySQL, or a wrapper for Microsoft SQL, etc.? Thanks in advance.

G2 has an API for all interactions with the data repository.  This
allows us to store and retrieve the data from any backend that
can be made to conform to the API.

Right now we've only got one implementation, DatabaseStorage.  This
implementation uses ADOdb (http://php.weblogs.com/ADOdb) to provide
a storage repository for G2 on MySQL and Postgres.  Hopefully Oracle
too at some point.

It's entirely possible to write a back end for G2 that uses XML/CSV/flat
files.  The only issue is that we're currently using a SQL like syntax
for our search statements.  I haven't heard of any non-rdb systems that
provide enough sophistication to do what we need, but I'm sure that there
are some out there.

Ultimately, I think that it's not going to make much sense to move
away from having a real database backend.  G2 is a sophisticated
application with diverse needs.  Reproducing all the necessary backend
functionality in a flat-file storage system will require you to
basically implement your own database (in PHP!).  That seems
prohibitively difficult, and furthermore, if we could get to that
point it probably makes more sense for that system to be supported
by ADOdb instead of by Gallery directly.  I'm open to discussion,
though.

-Bharat