List:       gallery-devel
Subject:    [Gallery-devel] gallery speedups
From:       Kirth <kirth () hole ! org>
Date:       2002-01-06 8:43:44

Hi,

	having used gallery for a few months, i noticed that NetPBM is
exceedingly slow and starting to bug me when I am uploading say 150 images
in one go. The result ? I have started writing an "almost" drop in
replacement based on Imlib2 (it helps that I live atm with the author,
Rasterman).

	Having written the first (not quite complete) version, it appears
with minimal code changes to gallery (basically just checking to see if we
should use the imlib2 program or netpbm), it achieves about a 10x speed up.
Now, the program itself generates all the different image sizes at once, you
can specify all the sizes on the command line:

convert infile.jpg 1000 1000 file1.jpg 600 600 file2.jpg 400 400 file3.jpg
etc...

	becuase it's using imlib2's loaders, the file type is irrelavent,
and can be different to the source ( for any of them)

	I am in the process of speed testing it against 131 1600x1200jpg
files and modifing gallery's code to take full advantage of the program.
Once this works I'll shove the code on my web site + the patch(s) for
gallery.

Regards
Richard

--