List:       gallery-devel
Subject:    [Gallery-devel] Re: Creating a "gallery" Debian package
From:       "'Adam Lazur'" <adam () lazur ! org>
Date:       2001-12-04 18:20:36

Matthew McEachen (mceachen@users.sourceforge.net) said:
> I've only just been converted to the One True Distro a monthish ago
> (woah, so much better than RH! apt rocks!)--thanks for doing this.
>
> There's only a few things I would pipe into to say:
>
> * NetPBM's version (at least in the testing/woody area) has been
> broken before - deb accepted 2.19 which had some JFIF-related bug.
> And before that, gallery required a higher version than what was in
> stable. v2's config wizard will be unit testing the image toolkit, so
> it'll hork up a complaint during configuration. 2.20 (in testing now)
> is fine currently, though.

I'll add a versioned dependency so nobody gets bitten by 2.19 just in
case.

> * Just as a heads-up, G2 will be able to use either ImageMagick or
> NetPBM - ImageMagick being the favored library (as it can do lossless
> jpeg translations, like image rotation, and maintain EXIF headers)...
> The big woop is that you might need to change the depends come
> Feb-ish.

Yeah, I saw that. The EXIF integration will be nice to have. It's
unfortunate that imagemagick in debian depends on xlibs (I try to keep
that kind of stuff off of my headless server box).

> * The squirrelmail package nicely burps at the end of setup
>
> "Run /etc/squirrelmail/conf.pl to update configuration"
>
> You may want to invoke configure.sh and let that echo to the console
> "please point a user agent at http://.....gallery/setup/"

I considered putting gallery into config mode on install, but decided
against it as it's a potential security can of worms.

Adding http://${automagically_guessed_server_name}/gallery/setup/ to the
output of configure.sh would be nice though.

I'll also take a look at echoing "You'll probably want to run
/usr/share/gallery/configure.sh to start the configuration process" in
the postinst, though I'm not sure if this is debconf territory or not.

I also plan on adding debconf notes for upgrades when an album rebuild
is required.

> * Where were you going to stuff gallery in the htdoc hierarchy? Heck,
> given that we know that the apache config is (we can check for both
> /etc/apache and /etc/apache-ssl for httpd.conf) we might be able to
> guess the URL to tell the user now.

Right now it defaults to adding "Alias /gallery /usr/share/gallery" to
apache. This is a conffile though, so the user is free to change it as
they see fit (and it'll persist on upgrades).

> As I'm working on G2's config wizard, I'll see what wwwconfig-common
> gives us to see if that can help this process.

Nice. I'm using some of the scripts from wwconfig-common in the
post{inst,rm}, but it's mostly stuff I borrowed from squirrelmail.

I'd like to get the package into debian proper soon so that it'll have
time to filter into woody before the freeze for release.

--
Adam Lazur, Cluster Monkey