List:       fwtk-users
Subject:    Re: PORT ftp problem
From:       Tor Perkins <982166821 () noid ! net>
Date:       2001-02-14 17:18:13

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to majordomo@ex.tis.com.]

 > Indeed? I thought the 2.9 thing is the source port for "normal" ftp,
 > in 2.11 data-port is the port given for passive ftp?!?

When I wrote the 2.11 patch, it so happened that I had the 2.9 patch
already applied to my ftp-gw.c.  I liked the way it worked when the
client did a PORT to ftp-gw.  I copied this behavior for when the
ftp-gw does a PASV to a server.  In both cases ftp-gw is initiating
the data connection.  'data-port' (the config option) and 'data_port'
(the C variable) are both being used in these cases.

If you do not use the 'pasv true' config option, ftp-gw will still use
'data-port' as per the 2.9 patch when interacting with the client,
it'll just not do PASV when it's talking to a server.  It'll PORT the
server using a random high port.  The server will then initiate the
data connection (the port it picks as it's source port is out of our
control).

By the way, PASV is just as "normal" as PORT.  :)

--
}    __o
}  _(\<._  Tor Perkins           Send me e-mail with subject "get