List:       fwtk-users
Subject:    Re: POP3/pop3-gw/plug-gw/pop-gw
From:       "Dave Fennell" <dfennell () cell-loc ! com>
Date:       2000-03-26 15:09:50

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to majordomo@ex.tis.com.]

I have been using pop3-gw for some time now quite successfully. I think
your configuration is okay. I had a similar problem to yours, and I had
to make one slight change to the source code for it.

I am using POP and not APOP on our servers. The mail clients I use
appear to insert a carriage return/linefeed in the buffer with the
password that gets passed to the proxy. The proxy also inserts a
carriage return/linefeed. This gets the server confused, and you may
receive a message similar to what you are seeing.

To make it work, change the line in the subroutine do_server_pauth from
sprintf(buf,"PASS %s\r\n",password);
sprintf(buf,"PASS %s",password);
This eliminates the double cr/lf. It works for me. This problem may well
exist in the apop routines as well, but I don't have an apop server to
test it against.

Regards
Dave