List:       fwtk-users
Subject:    Compile Problems
From:       "Carl A. Cook" <quantum () augustmail ! com>
Date:       1999-11-02 15:14:19

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to majordomo@ex.tis.com.]

This is a cryptographically signed message in MIME format.

I realize I am a newbie.  But I simply cannot compile fwtk 2.1 despite
meticulously following Marcus' instructions.

I've tried every sensible variation, and continue to get "Makefile:16
***missing separator. Stop".  In fact, though I am running RHL6.1 in
full compliment, with all the latest updates (XF86 3.3.5, Enlightenment
0.16, Gnomecore 1.0.53, egcs 1.1.2-24) I haven't been able to get ANY
source package to compile.  Can't even rpm -Uvh goodapp.src.rpm!  Seems
source files are of no use to me.

For fwtk I start by: mv Makefile.config Makefile.config.oem
Then: mv Makefile.config.linux Makefile.config
Then: pico Makefile.config and change FWTKSRCDIR to my
/usr/send-rec/download/fwtk/fwtk which contains the Makefiles.
I have tried at other times changing the other things that seem to need
it, such as XLIBDIR to /usr/X11R6/lib and XINCLUDE to
/usr/X11R6/include, CC to gcc and gcc+, change from debug to optimize,
etc,  but no luck.

Then always fixmake, which runs OK and make, which always fails with a
Makefile:16: *** missing separator. Stop.
Through trial and error I've found this means something is wrong with
line 16 of Makefile, which has .include "Makefile.config".  When I add
an = between operator and argument and make, I get a screenful of other
files with missing separator!  I have tried using the default
Makefile.config, changing in various ways the other lines, with no
luck.  Don't know where to find the logs.

I have tried to ./configure gnome-applets and got an error, "Could not
find the gnomeConf.sh file that is generated by gnome-libs install".
Did a search of the disk, and indeed that file is not there, yet Gnome
is up and running fine, and gnome-libs is indeed installed!

Tried to: ./configure gnomba, but I get "Cannot find GTK: Is gtk-config
in path?".  Indeed a search if the disk finds no gtk-config, yet I have
gtk+, gtk+10, gtk--, gtk-engines, and Gtk-Perl installed.  Whatthehell?

Tried to: make quickres and got a blizzard of "No such file or
directory".

Anyone know what's wrong with adding ./ to 'path', rather than having to
specify it all the time?  Anyone know why, when I put KDE FindFiles on
my panel, on the next reboot it magically becomes a GnomeTerminal?
Hegemony?  Anyone know why, when I change my default editor to xemacs or
gedit, then right-click and Edit a textfile, NOTHING happens?  emacs and
pico work with this procedure but nothing else; would rather have
graphical.  Anyone know how the /etc/hosts.allow and .deny files work?
Why they're not in the HOWTOs?  Nothing in any of the RH documentation
about whether linuxconf|Config|Networking|Firewalling is
connected/really works/whether associated with hosts.allow-deny/ how to
check.

I won't even ask why GnoRPM can't ever Find anything (have to use
command-line, which does find). Or why why Gnome file manager (gmc), on
Commands|Find File sometimes comes up with a sensible & usable tool, but
most of the time comes up with two mystifying windows.  Or why, when I
download and install a dockapplet (WMNet, wmCalClock)  from
DockAppWarehouse I can't get it on my f**king panel.

As I say, I have the latest of everything in full install.  Trying
desperately to avoid ditching Linux for the bad OS, but may not be able
to avoid it.

The deciding factor is whether I can get a firewall running.  The
quagmire of ipchains is impractical for me, so I need some kind of
packet-filtering or stateful packet-filtering tool which will protect my
machines, and also hopefully REJECT packets from known advertisers on
the web. (culled from blockfile on Junkbusters)
--
Carl A. Cook
quantum@augustmail.com

As the twig is bent, the tree inclines.
      -  Virgil  (70-19BC)

["smime.p7s" (application/x-pkcs7-signature)]