List:       fwtk-users
Subject:    Re: BAD News NT
From:       Darren Reed <darrenr () cyber ! com ! au>
Date:       1997-10-28 10:40:29

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to majordomo@ex.tis.com.]

In some mail I received from Dave Wreski, sie wrote

> [To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
> BODY of a mail message to majordomo@ex.tis.com.]
>

> >> I don't think Linux is the be-all end-all yet, but I do think it fits
> >> into existing environments much better than many other OS's.
> >
> > I keep looking at Linux. I keep going back to FreeBSD. Linux still just
> > doesn't seem to be quite as "there", and certainly FreeBSD has all the
> > free software advantages of Linux and then some.
>
> I'm pretty sure Linux has much of the same functionality as FreeBSD (X11,
> ipfw, etc), and you probably have many of the same driver support, correct?

> What differences are you talking about?

Well, which Linux are you talking about ? Red-hat ? Slackware ? ...

To me, that is a big downer for Linux.  Even though they're all Linux,
none of them are the same.  Whereas FreeBSD is FreeBSD.  I'd agree that
while Linux is good, it doesn't quite seem "there".

btw, although both have ipfw, only FreeBSD has IP Filter, which is
arguably superior to either ipfw :)

Darren