List:       fwtk-users
Subject:    Re: Printing through a firewall
From:       Barry Suskind <bsuskind () melpar ! esys ! com>
Date:       1995-08-29 17:13:21

[Excerpt from MELODYS@wpoff.monm.edu, on Mon, Aug 28, 1995 at  5:10pm]
Subject: Printing through a firewall
> [To unsubscribe from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in
the
> BODY of a mail message to majordomo@tis.com.]
>
> Here's our situation.  Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
>
> We've set up a firewall on a Linux machine to protect one machine (a
> RS6000 running AIX)  on  its own network.  The rest of our network is
> on the other side of the firewall.  Tn-gw and ftp-gw work fine, but we
> need to be able to print to a network printer (an HP4M) from the RS6000.
>
> I've tried using plug-gw, but haven't been successful.
>
> Here's what I've tried:
> /etc/services
> HP4M   9100/tcp
>
> /usr/local/etc/netperm-table:
> plug-gw: port HP4M <RS6000 address> -plug-to <HP4M address>
>
> (I've tried adding -privport to this line, but it still didn't work.)
>
> /etc/inetd.conf:
> HP4M stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/etc/plug-gw  plug-gw HP4M
>
> /etc/hosts
> <HP4M address>  HP4M

[-- End of excerpt from MELODYS@wpoff.monm.edu]

The problem is that the Laserjet needs to talk to the system sending the
printout to complete the circuit. I don't think the laserjet will know
how to route back, nor do I think it will be able to get through the
application gateway.

--
Barry A. Suskind                         bsuskind@melpar.esys.com    ||