List:       fwtk-users
Subject:    Re: [fwtk-users] Lots of smap processes on CentOS5/RHEL5
From:       "Michael St. Laurent" <mikes () hartwellcorp ! com>
Date:       2008-04-17 18:19:05

> A while back I moved smap and smapd onto a new system running
> CentOS5 (a
> respin of RHEL5).  When I did this I started seeing a lot of smap
> processes stacking up.  I assume that what is happening is that poorly
> behaved senders are not bothering to end the SMTP transaction cleanly
> and thus the smap processes are hanging around waiting for a signoff
> that is never going to come.  I worked around this problem by
> running a
> script once a minute that kills any smap process that is more than ten
> minutes old.  Now that I have time to revisit this situation I would
> like to solve it more cleanly.
>
> Has anyone else run into this problem?

I used gdb to attach to one of the hung processes so as to get a
backtrace, etc.

[root@hcfw1 etc]# gdb smap 8100
GNU gdb Red Hat Linux (6.5-25.el5rh)
are
conditions.
details.
This GDB was configured as "i386-redhat-linux-gnu"...smap: No such file
or directory.

Attaching to process 8100
Reading symbols from /usr/local/etc/smap...done.
Using host libthread_db library "/lib/libthread_db.so.1".
0x0806ef4e in __read_nocancel ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x0806ef4e in __read_nocancel ()
#1  0x08049311 in crlfgets (buf=0xbfd900c8 "", siz=32768,
    fp=<value optimized out>) at smap.c:2720
#2  0x0804ab2c in main (ac=0, av=0xbfd98334) at smap.c:1388
(gdb) list
741             int             sitelen;
742             int             daemonflag = FALSE;
743             int             port_used = -1;
744             char            *fwtk_version   = defined_fwtk_version;
745             char            *bind_addr = NULL;
746
747             int     stop = FALSE;
748             int     rejecting = FALSE;
749
750             if (ac > 0) {
751                     myname = strrchr(*av, DIRC);
752                     if (myname == (char *) NULL)
753                             myname = *av;
754                       else
755                             ++myname;
756             }
757
758             if (atof(fwtk_version) < atof(minimal_fwtk_version))
759                     fwtk_version = minimal_fwtk_version;
760
(gdb)

I've got a timeout value set in the netperm-table but it doesn't seem to
be working.

Does anyone have time to loan me a clue here?