List:       fwtk-users
Subject:    [fwtk-users] Re: Smap Message: peer dropped connection
From:       Rick Murphy <rmurphy () itm-inst ! com>
Date:       2001-11-29 0:18:26

At 07:41 AM 11/28/01 -0700, Ken Long wrote:
>Ok, please allow me to show my ignorance here. Is the "envelope sender"
>the same as a custom "reply to" that I can set in my email client?

No, it's the address in the "MAIL FROM" transaction. Usually that's the
"From:" address your recipient will see.

>I use Pegasus Email at home and have my smtp set to the ISP I'm connected
>to but my email identity and pop3 host are set to a different provider.
>This is because I've had the same email address since day 1 on the
>Internet and don't wish to change but switched over to cable modem
>service when it became available.

The reverse lookup check is *only* performed when the domain name of the
sender matches a list. I verify hotmail, yahoo, and a few other commonly
forged domains. It would be impractical to do this on a widespread basis.
In fact, this mail is being sent from a host with no reverse DNS due to an
incompetent ISP. I'd be blocked by my own code if you enabled
verify-reverse on me. This is a big hammer that you need to use with
discretion.
         -Rick

---
You are currently subscribed to fwtk-users as: fwtk-users@progressive-comp.com