List:       fwknop-discuss
Subject:    Re: [Fwknop-discuss] Standalone Windows 8 client
From:       Michael Rash <michael.rash () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-06-26 1:12:08

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 11:25 AM, Patrick Reichel <par78@gmx.de> wrote:

> Am 21.06.2014 22:25, schrieb Michael Rash:
> > On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 2:36 AM, Patrick Reichel <par78@gmx.de> wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>

> > Hi Patrick,
> >

> Hi Michael,
>
> thanks for your answer.
>

> >> in search for a standalone windows client I found an older
> >> discussion
> >> (http://sourceforge.net/p/fwknop/mailman/message/30511523) and
> >> downloaded the two fwknop-static-2.5.1-static-w*.exe files from
> >> http://www.dstuart.org/fwknop which both work really great – thank
> >> you very much!
> >>
> >> My problem is that one of the users on my server (Debian stable,
> >> fwknop 2.5.1-1~bpo70+1 from backports) is running Windows 8 on which
> >> the client isn't working – it fails with:
> >> fwknop: fko_new: Error 4 - Args contain invalid data
> >>
> >> The same .exe file with the same config file runs at Win 7 without
> >> any problems.
> >>
> >> Is there or will there be a version for Win8? I don't have Win8
> >> and/or Visual Studio in reach to try to compile by my own (and the
> >> user lives miles away).
> >>

> >> Or is there a problem in my config?
> >>
> >> _fwknoprc:
> >> [xyz]
> >> SPA_SERVER 1.2.3.4
> >> SPA_SERVER_PROTO udp
> >> SPA_SERVER_PORT 80
> >> SPOOF_USER username
> >> ACCESS tcp/443
> >> KEY_BASE64 secret
> >> HMAC_KEY_BASE64 secret
> >>

> > That configuration looks correct.  One possibility though - in
> > fwknop-2.6.1, a change was made to be more compatible with Microsoft
> > username guidelines.  Previous to this change, fwknop was too strict
> about
> > the characters that could be included in the username.  In your
> SPOOF_USER
> > variable, are there any special characters in the username?
>
> I had an underscore in the username and removed this – no change.
> Then step by step I reduced the number of options and ended with the
> very basic call:
> fwknop.exe -A tcp/443 -s -D 1.2.3.4
>
> Even in this case the same error message (Error 4 - Args contain
> invalid data) appears. The Win7 .exe seems not to be compatible to Win8?

That is good set of command line arguments for testing, and supports your
guess that the Win7 .exe is not compatible with Win8.

> > I don't have a Windows 8 development environment either, but one way to
> > work around this is to run the fwknop client under Cygwin.  Is that a
> > possibility in your environment?
>
> I tried this some time ago without success (can't remember the error
> ATM).
> I think I will give it a try again…

My guess is that running under Cygwin will produce better results.

Thanks,

--Mike

> Thank you,
>
> Patrick
>

> > Thanks,
> >
> > --Mike
> >

> >> starting from a batch file via:
> >> fwknop.exe -v -R --rc-file _fwknoprc -n xyz
> >>

> >> Thank you
> >>
> >> Patrick Reichel

> > HPCC Systems Open Source Big Data Platform from LexisNexis Risk Solutions
> > Find What Matters Most in Your Big Data with HPCC Systems
> > Open Source. Fast. Scalable. Simple. Ideal for Dirty Data.
> > Leverages Graph Analysis for Fast Processing & Easy Data Exploration
> > http://p.sf.net/sfu/hpccsystems

Michael Rash | Founder
http://www.cipherdyne.org/
Key fingerprint = 53EA 13EA 472E 3771 894F  AC69 95D8 5D6B A742 839F