List:       fwknop-discuss
Subject:    Re: [Fwknop-discuss] Build failure on Mac OS X 10.9
From:       Michael Rash <mbr () cipherdyne ! org>
Date:       2013-11-22 3:15:26

On Nov 18, 2013, Blair Zajac wrote:

<snip>

> > > Thanks.  Can you do a dotted release instead of a dashed one, i.e. 2.5.1.1?  \
> > > That?s more compatible with versioning .
> >
> > Sure, will do.

Apologies for the delay.  2.5.1.1 is available through github now:

https://github.com/mrash/fwknop/releases

> I noticed that the release names are not consistent, the new one doesn?t have the \
> leading ?fwknop-?, if that matters?

This is actually by design for two reasons:

First, github itself apparently prefixes their release tarballs with the project
name, so the existing github releases create directories like "fwknop-fwknop-2.5.1"
when untar'ing them.  When I create builds for distribution on
cipherdyne.org, the tarballs are created with 'make dist' after checking
out a new tag, and 'make dist' doesn't directly reference a git tag for
building the tarball.

Second, it is probably a good idea to follow the "semantic versioning"
strategy described at: http://semver.org/  Making the tags themselves
match the version number scheme is a little cleaner.

> > https://github.com/mrash/fwknop/releases

> > > Server is ubuntu 2.0.4 for all cases.  Client on PPC 10.5 works while client on \
> > > 10.9 doesn?t work.  Yes, that?s why this is odd.
> >
> > Ah, ok, are you adding the '-M legacy' command line argument to the 10.9
> > client?  That is necessary to build SPA packets that are compatible with
> > pre-2.5 versions of the server.
>
> Ahh, that was it.  I must have copied my Bash aliases from my Linux server which \
> has an old port knocking alias instead of from my old laptop which had it \
> corrected.
> Thanks for the quick help on all issues, it?s all working again!

Glad to hear that everything is working.

--Mike