List:       fvwm
Subject:    Re: FVWM: fvwm3?
From:       Chris Siebenmann <cks-fvwm () cs ! toronto ! edu>
Date:       2024-01-30 21:14:47

> On Tue, Jan 30, 2024 at 1:25 PM hw <hw@adminart.net> wrote:
> > so is there finally a version that works for wayland?
> >
> No, fvwm only works with xorg and most likely won't be ported.

To add some information, a 'port' would be more difficult than it
sounds. The architecture of Wayland does not have an equivalent of the
separation between the X server and the window manager; the window
manager is part of the 'Wayland compositor' that is effectively the
equivalent of the X server. There are libraries that are intended to
make writing a Wayland compositor easier, but it would still be a major
addition to what fvwm does and a major change to how it works. Probably
relatively little of the current fvwm code could be readily reused in
such a 'Wayland fvwm'.

(I do hope someone writes a Wayland compositor/window manager that works
like fvwm does at some point, because some day I will probably have to
switch to Wayland and at that point I'm going to miss any number of fvwm
features, including great keybinding support and FvwmIconManager.)

	- cks