List:       fvwm
Subject:    Re: FVWM: Book on fvwm...
From:       Cameron Simpson <cs () zip ! com ! au>
Date:       2012-05-28 0:12:25

On 26Mar2012 09:57, Raspian Belouchi <raspian.belouchi@gmail.com> wrote:
| Given that I am
| disliking the direction Unity and Gnome are headed I wanted to look at
| fvwm again - but struggle with the man page.

Slightly off topic, more on how to get going:

My approach is to start with the man page and write a basic start on an
fvwmrc setting all the global mode values to my preferred settings. This
both shows my brain all the things one might consider with FVWM, and
documents them in the file I'll be consulting - everything is there, set
one way or another, ready to toggle.

Since a lot of this is done with styles in FVWM, here's an example from
my fvwmrc (obviously, these settings want tuning for you):

  Style "general" SkipMapping, SmartPlacement, RandomPlacement, \
                  ForeColor #00ff00, BackColor #000000, \
                  HilightFore #ffff00, HilightBack #006000, \
                  RecaptureIgnoresStartsOnPage, MinOverlapPlacement, ClickToFocusRaisesOff, \
                  MouseFocusClickRaisesOff, ManualPlacementIgnoresStartsOnPage, \
                  NoIcon, IgnoreRestack, MaxWindowSize 100 100, UsePPosition, \
                  DontRaiseTransient, DontLowerTransient, GrabFocusTransientOff
  Style "zen"     UseStyle "general", \
                  NoTitle, NoHandles, BorderWidth 0, HandleWidth 0
  Style "nested"  UseStyle "general", \
                  Title, BorderWidth 2, HandleWidth 2, BackingStore, SaveUnder
  Style "*"       UseStyle zen
  Style "sticky"  Sticky
  Style "topsticky" UseStyle sticky, StaysOnTop, WindowListSkip
  Style "bottomsticky" UseStyle sticky, StaysOnBottom

  MenuStyle "*"   AutomaticHotkeys, SeparatorsShort, \
                  NoSelectOnRelease, \
                  TrianglesRelief, BorderWidth 0, \
                  MenuColorset 2, ActiveFore, HilightBack, \
                  ActiveColorset 3, GreyedColorset 4

The "*" styles are the default. The point here is that most things are
now visible in my fvwmrc, ready for adjustment.

One nice thing is that you can then style particular apps, eg:

  Style "gkrellm"          UseStyle bottomsticky

Then start fvwm and eyeball what's missing (wrong fous behaviours, etc), and
visit the FVWM themes and screenshots pages for ideas on particular things
you might want. Functions and key bindings in particular can be hard to
learn without examples, but there are a fair number of examples.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@zip.com.au> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

..And in all of Babylonia there was wailing and gnashing of teeth, till
the prophets bade the multitudes get a grip on themselves and shape up.
        - Woody Allen