List:       fvwm
Subject:    Re: FVWM: Fvwmpager crashes if no pages are to be shown
From:       Thomas Adam <thomas () xteddy ! org>
Date:       2010-08-30 8:51:23

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 07:38:04AM +0200, Michael Großer wrote:
> If you speak about the wait function: I *tried* to avoid the
> wait function. I wrote another solution using StartsOnDesktop
> instead of the wait function. The result was that fvwm
> did not keep the current desk + page anymore after
> I restarted it using this key binding:
>
> > Key Pause A CM Restart
>
> After each restart, fvwm showed a random desktop and page.
> Using the wait function, after a restart, fvwm shows exactly
> this desktop and page that was shown before the restart.

FVWM will always put you on the last desk/page you were on before you
restarted, unless you have something in your RestartFunction or
StartFunction which says otherwise.  In your case, you were still having to
iterate over all the desks to replace your FvwmPagers.

The only reason you've had to go through those hoops in the first place is
because you're using the same module alias many times.  If you used
different module aliases, you could do this:

DestroyModuleConfig foo:*
*foo: ...
*foo: ...

DestroyModuleConfig foo2:*
*foo2: ...
*foo2: ...

AddToFunc StartFunction
+ I Module FvwmPager foo
+ I Module FvwmPager foo2

Style foo  StartsOnDesk ...
Style foo2 StartsOnDesk ...

> This is the reason why I still use the wait function.

See above.

> You don't need my entire config. I reduced it and the pager still
> disappears (to avoid the term "crash)". I posted all the config
> you need to get the minipager disappeared.

I'm done with this then.  Good luck.

-- Thomas Adam

--
"Deep in my heart I wish I was wrong.  But deep in my heart I know I am
not." -- Morrissey ("Girl Least Likely To" -- off of Viva Hate.)