List:       fvwm
Subject:    Re: FVWM: Locking or redirecting keyboard focus -Conclusion-
From:       "Shriver, Daniel" <dshriver () mitre ! org>
Date:       2010-05-12 16:35:27

> Don't.  Really.  Java doesn't play nicely on anything that Sun didn't
> write -- and it breaks outside of that because Sun *got it wrong* and
> didn't want to conceed that there's standards that they didn't write,
> but still need to follow.
>
> You're not going to get it to work.

It finally does work if top level container for the GUI widget is a JWindow and I \
call "<my_Jwindow>.setFocusableWindowState(false);" on that.

It really shouldn't be like that- but at least there is a workaround (albeit odd / \
twisted). When I do this I don't need to do anything in the .fvwm2rc file (though I'd \
kind of prefer that since the window manager should be making these decisions).

The idea for the workaround comes from: \
http://java.sun.com/javase/6/webnotes/trouble/TSG-Desktop/html/awt.html#gdaao

Where they say:

    Issue: A window is disabled with Component.setEnabled(false), but does not get \
totally unfocusable.
    Solution: Do not assume that the condition set by calling \
                Component.setEnabled(false) or
              Component.setFocusable(false) will be maintained unfocusable along with \
                all its
              content. Instead, use the Window.setFocusableWindowState(boolean) \
method