List:       fvwm
Subject:    Re: FVWM: Undoing the default fvwm behavior
From:       Tom Panning <lurchvt () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-01-26 20:53:23

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 3:39 PM, Thomas Adam <thomas.adam22@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/1/26 Tom Panning <lurchvt@gmail.com>:
>> As an aside, I tried using the Unmanaged style. I was unable to find a
>> way to allow the unmanaged windows to be raised above the managed
>> windows and vice versa (setting RaiseOverUnmanaged allowed me to have
>> one or the other, but not both).
>
> Of course not -- they're unmanaged -- that means once FVWM has been
> told to "ignore" that window, then that's that.  Raising that window
> would have to be a facet of FVWM's management, and how can it do that
> when you've told it not to manage that window?

Sorry, I didn't mean that as a complaint. I was just pointing it out
in case someone suggested using the Unmanaged style (since I said that
I didn't want certain windows to be managed). And I didn't think of
calling XRaiseWindow() from another program as part of FVWM's window
management since it will work when there is no window manager running,
although I understand that the raise request goes to the window
manager if one exists.

Tom