List:       fvwm
Subject:    Re: FVWM: force placement after timeout?
From:       Dominik Vogt <dominik.vogt () gmx ! de>
Date:       2008-01-14 22:08:56

On Sun, Jan 13, 2008 at 05:35:21PM -0800, Danek Duvall wrote:
> For most windows, I have ManualPlacement set, and it's generally what I
> want.  But a number of apps throw up non-transient windows of their own
> accord which thus require placement.  I'm not always around to place the
> windows, and so the wireframe will sit there until I return, possibly
> hanging other programs due to the server grab.
>
> Is there any way for fvwm to recognize that placement hasn't happened
> within, say, n seconds, and fallback to some other placement policy?  There
> doesn't seem to be anything in the man page about that (at least in 2.5.18,
> or in the NEWS file for the subsequent releases).

No, not at the moment,

> If there isn't, how hard would it be to add such a feature?

I don't think that would be difficult.  You need to wind up some
timer at the start of the placement loop, and when it fires make
it generate some X event to wake up the loop and let it fail.  The
window would then be placed at +0+0.

But maybe that's not necessary.  If you know the offending
windows, is it an option to give them a different placement
policy?

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--