List:       fvwm
Subject:    Re: FVWM: GrabFocus and vncserver
From:       Dominik Vogt <dominik.vogt () gmx ! de>
Date:       2000-11-26 6:50:02

On Sun, Nov 26, 2000 at 12:47:11AM -0330, Neil Zanella wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have the line
>
> Style * GrabFocus
>
> in my fvwm2 configuration file and I am running version 2.3.22.
> This works for most windows except for the one launched when I
> type vncserver at the command prompt. This application is part
> of VNC which is distributed at:
>
> http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/index.html
>
> How come GrabFocus is not working with this application:
>
> FvwmIdent reveals:
>
> Name:       serverDialog
> Icon Name:  serverDialog
> Resource:   Vncviewer
> Windows ID: 0x340000d
>
> etc...
>
> Transient:         Yes
> Focus Policy:      Passive
>   - Input Field:   True
>   - WM_TAKE_FOCUS: XGetWMProtocols failed
>
> I tried the following but it did not work:
>
> Style "Vncviewer" GrabFocusTransient, DontStackTransientParent
> Style "serverDialog" GrabFocusTransient, DontStackTransientParent
>
> What should I do to get the "VNC server password window" to grab the
> focus when it appears?

It's a bug in vnc.  It sets the transientfor hint, but then
provides a nonsense window id for the hint (0x2 in my case).  The
logic in fvwm only grabs focus for new transients if their
'transientfor' currently has focus - which is not the case since
the window does not even exist.

The good news: I made a patch so that GrabFocus overrides
GrabFocusTransient in this case, so it should work for now.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, dominik.vogt@gmx.de