List:       fvwm
Subject:    Re: FVWM: Erroneous .fvwm2rc parsing
From:       Dominik Vogt <dominik.vogt () gmx ! de>
Date:       1999-09-28 23:10:50

On Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 01:22:09PM -0400, Paul D. Smith wrote:
> %% nirva@ishiboo.com (Danny Dulai) writes:
>
>   dd> On 09/27/99, esteffl@pbi.net said:
>   >> well, I would say that the sh behaviour is a bug:-))
>   >>
>   >> sometime it is hard to distinguish the bug from the
>   >> feature... (maybe it is indeed a bug in fvwmrc parsing, it depends
>   >> on what behaviour they wanted)
>
>   dd> I often use:
>
>   dd> #!/bin/sh
>   dd> # \
>   dd> exec tclsh $0 $*
>
>   dd> ... rest of script
>
>   dd> or replace tclsh with perl or whatever.. The sh executes the exec
>   dd> line, tclsh and everything else skips it.
>
> Just an off-topic note: as far as I know this _only_ works with Tcl.  It
> definitely doesn't work with Perl, which treats backslash-newlines in
> comments just like the shell does1 (that is, ignores the backslash and
> doesn't concatenate the newline).
>
> I don't know of any other interpreter except tclsh that does it this
> way.  Personally, I feel the perl/sh way is more intuitive: a comment is
> a comment, and _everything_ in a comment should be completely
> ignored... including trailing backslashes.

The most intuitive way I can think of is that comment lines are completely
removed except that a trailing backslash prevents the line end.
Thus you could say

fooabr=1\
	2\
#	3\
	4

or in a makefile:

OBJECTS = \
#	foo.o \
	bar.o \
	foobar.o

and the lines beginning with '#' would be silently removed from
the input.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--