List:       fvwm
Subject:    Re: FVWM: Strange Behavior...
From:       "Thomas A. Gardiner" <gardiner () pas ! rochester ! edu>
Date:       1999-07-16 22:01:39

Hi,

Previously I wrote...

> I'm trying to run xscreensaver when I log in by doing something like
>
> AddToFunc "InitFunction"
> + "I" Exec exec xscreensaver -timeout 1
> + "I" Wait *screensaver

and a few people replied to me for which I am very gratefull.  I managed
to find the source of the problem, though I can't say _why_ it caused the
problem it did.  What I was in fact doing was a little different from what
I showed above.  This

AddToFunc "InitFunction"
+ "I" Exec exec xemacs
+ "I" Wait xemacs
+ "I" Exec exec xscreensaver -timeout 1

does not work.  This

AddToFunc "InitFunction"
+ "I" Exec exec xemacs
+ "I" Wait *emacs
+ "I" Exec exec xscreensaver -timeout 1

does work.  It also works if the Wait is taken out completely.  I tried
this because the title on the xemacs window I saw open (when I was editing
this file) was emacs instead of xemacs.  What I do not understand is why
the (incorrect) Wait statement gave this odd behavior of not executing the
following statement.  In fact it may have never finnished; I don't know.
Does Wait ever time out?

I guess we can chalk this one up to poor programming and faulty question
posting.

Thanks All,

Tom

--