List:       fvwm
Subject:    FVWM: FvwmTaskBarAutoHide has no clothes
From:       Tom Toffoli <tt () bu ! edu>
Date:       1998-11-19 19:47:39

11-19-98

The AutoHide feature of the fvmw2 TaskBar (used, e.g., in AnotherLevel) does
not work well; more bluntly, I'd say it's BROKEN. Can anyone at fvwm2 or
RedHat fix it or tell us how to patch it?

I'm using fvwm2-2.0.46 as it comes with RedHatLinux 5.2.
As far as my experiments can tell, AutoHide behaves differently in the top,
middle, and bottom panes of a desktop (and because of this, it took me a
while to characterize its behavior). For simplicity, assume you have a 1x3
desktop
    -----
    | 1 |
    -----
    | 2 |
    -----
    | 3 |
    -----
(but my comments apply to any vertical number of panes, and in this case
1 stands for the top pane, 3 for the bottom one, and 2 stands for all the panes
in between)

Well, AutoHide works well in pane one, UNTIL you manage to cross, with the
mouse, the boundary between panes 1 and 2; then, when you come back to 1, the
taskbar remains stuck in the hidden position.

In pane 2, the taskbar always remains hidden.

In pane 3 (the bottom pane, or the only pane in a 1x1 desktop), the taskbar
pops up and down all right, but when it pops down it hides only 2/5 of the
way, so that most of it still sticks out.

So, in none of the three cases is the AutoHide feature worth its name.

A working AutoHide would be a very useful features especially with small
screens. The powers that be, please take a look at it and make it work.
If, on the other hand, I'm being extremely dense and the feature can
be made to work, please show me how.
                                                Tom Toffoli