List:       fvwm
Subject:    FVWM: Re: Fvwm article
From:       <chuck_hines () VNET ! IBM ! COM> (Charles Hines)
Date:       1996-04-30 21:44:30

>>>>> "Mark" == Mark Borges <mdb@cdc.noaa.gov> writes:

>>> On Tue, 30 Apr 1996 15:24:49 -0400,
>>> Charles Hines(c) wrote:
c> The idea of having multiple colormaps (one per desk) has been
c> discussed here in the past, and would be great if it were truly
c> feasable, which it really isn't.

Mark> Am I understanding you correctly. Is it (sort-of) possible to have
Mark> private colormaps in effect for each desk (so one could say, stick the
Mark> netscape hog on one desk and still have plenty of color slots for
Mark> other apps that reside on other desks)?

It might be possible, but there is also a problem w/ fvwm needing a
colormap too, so the borders, menus, etc on desktops other than the
first one wouldn't look right (unless I did something really tricky
under the covers, like force the exact same entries fvwm needs in
every colormap, but that would probably only serve bloat and slow down
things).

That's why I don't think it is really feasable at all, that and what
to do with moving windows across desks...

Mark> That would be a big win (although it seems technically
Mark> challenging to say the least).

Not enough of a win for the trouble, I think, especially since most
color hog programs can be told to install thier own colormaps (eg
'netscape -install').  And definitely technically challenging, I
think.

Perhaps I'll toy around with it some day in the future though, and see
if something semi-reasonable can't be done.

Chuck

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/>.