List:       fvwm
Subject:    Re: FVWM: Fvwm article
From:       <chuck_hines () VNET ! IBM ! COM> (Charles Hines)
Date:       1996-04-30 19:24:49

Dan> In the April 1996 issue of 'Sys Admin' (Volume 5, Number 4),
Dan> there is an article about fvwm entitled "Customizing X Window
Dan> Sessions with fvwm."  It is written by Richard L. Brownrigg.

No kidding?

Dan> The article mentions Robert Nation and Charles Hines.  It talks
Dan> about the various features of fvwm.  The general feeling in the
Dan> article is that fvwm is a very useful window manager.

That's cool.  I'll have to see if I can get a copy of this.

Dan> The only thing remotely negative said about fvwm was said in an
Dan> insert panel.  This panel states that the desktop concept is not
Dan> as useful as it could be. He (Richard?) says that having
Dan> different desktops use different configurations, and different
Dan> colormaps, would make it more usefull. He says that as it stands,
Dan> virtual desks add little to the virtual page concept.

I have to agree with him, actually.  I don't use multiple desks
myself, just one big desktop.

The idea of having multiple colormaps (one per desk) has been
discussed here in the past, and would be great if it were truly
feasable, which it really isn't.  After all, how would you deal with
windows moving across desks?

Dan> Overall, the article was very positive.

That's what I like to hear!

Dan> Congratulations Chuck! You are now (more) famous!

What a scary thought...  ;^)

Thanks for the info,
Chuck
--