List:       fuse-devel
Subject:    Re: [fuse-devel] Is it possible to have buffer cache to achieve high performance write?
From:       Jean-Pierre_André <jean-pierre.andre () wanadoo ! fr>
Date:       2017-10-11 9:50:34

YONA AN wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was trying to create snapshots for a single file, so as the write
> request came I copied all the old data blocks about to be over written
> to a new file on the first write to those data blocks of the file.

Should we assume the purpose for this is to be able
to revert to the previous state if something goes wrong ?

> But what I was trying to really slowed down the fuse performance, almost
> 1/4 of the original throughput.
>
> I was wondering does it make any sense that I create a buffer for each
> coming requests like page cache in linux kernel, once the data is
> written into the buffer, then I let the request returns just like it is
> finished successfully and I will flush it in the background. Is it
> reasonable to do that to improve the throughput ?

Of course you can, if you organize the reads to access
the buffer, and if you do not mind the data not being
written to device if something goes wrong (with users
having read from the buffer data which was never secured
to device).

And if you want to be sure to be able to revert to the
previous state on restart, you must ensure the old data
blocks were really secured to device.

Jean-Pierre