List:       fuse-devel
Subject:    Re: [fuse-devel] Dropping channel abstraction in FUSE 3
From:       Nikolaus Rath <Nikolaus () rath ! org>
Date:       2016-03-27 19:39:05

On Mar 24 2016, Nikolaus Rath <Nikolaus-BTH8mxji4b0@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> FUSE 3 already breaks backwards compatibility in several
> areas. Therefore, I intend to use this chance to also completely get rid
> of the channel abstraction.
>
> As far as I can tell, this was originally added to allow reading file
> system requests from multiple different channels. However, that was
> never actually implemented, so that FUSE sessions only ever use one
> channel, and that channel is always the fd to /dev/fuse.
>
> In practice, this would mean that instead of the functions
>
> * fuse_mount(),
> * fuse_lowlevel_new()
> * fuse_session_add_chan()
>
> we would have a new function called fuse_mount_ll() that mounts the file
> system and initializes the session at the same time.

Having started to implement this, I've realized that it does make sense
to separate mounting and unmounting from creating and destroying the
session. So the actual API will be:

1. fuse_lowlevel_new  / fuse_new
2. fuse_lowlevel_mount / fuse_mount
3. fuse_lowlevel_unmount / fuse_unmount
4. fuse_lowlevel_destroy / fuse_destroy

The name changes are intended to ensure that file systems will fail to
compile if they haven't been updated (instead of compiling but then
doing the wrong thing or crashing).

Best,
-Nikolaus

              »Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a Banana. «