List:       fuse-devel
Subject:    Re: [fuse-devel] Mounting libguestfs systems from /etc/fstab
From:       Goswin von Brederlow <goswin-v-b () web ! de>
Date:       2013-09-30 13:42:51

On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 11:27:02PM +0100, Phil Reynolds wrote:
> A reliability problem with direct mounting of VM filesystems has
> spurred me on to investigate libguestfs as an alternative. libguestfs
> uses fuse.
>
> I would like to mount the VMs' filesystems from /etc/fstab, as this
> could, if all works as intended, allow any user to umount, and later
> mount again, the relevant filesystems for any particular VM.
>
> The problem is, I do not know the syntax by which I could do the
> equivalent of, for example, this, in /etc/fstab:
>
> guestmount -a vm1.img -m /dev/vda1 --ro /mountpoint
>
> I am open to other suggestions if anyone knows how to achieve them. My
> VMs are normally down, which is why I really need this.

You need to put a filesystem type, e.g. guestmount, into the fstab and
then create a mount helper mount.<type>. I don't exactly know how they
work but I would start with a simple shell script:

#!/bin/sh

echo >&2 "$0" "$@"
exit 1

And then see how it gets called and how to translate that into a call to
guestmount.

MfG
	Goswin