List:       fuse-devel
Subject:    [fuse-devel] libFLAC and threading (Was: FUSE Low Level API)
From:       Michael McTernan <Michael.McTernan.2001 () cs ! bris ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2011-06-12 18:44:17

On 12/06/11 13:36, Stef Bon wrote:
> Please can you explain why decoding FLAC requires protection of the context?
>
> Are the FLAC functions not thread safe?

Correct.

> Look here:
>
> http://www.ziva-vatra.com/index.php?aid=23&id=U29mdHdhcmU=
>
> for a multithread safe decoder. As I understand it supports multithreading.

I don't think so.  It looks like a Python script using 'flac', which is
the binary built around the same libFLAC I am using.  Viva-vatra maybe
confused between a thread and a process.

> Multithreading should be possible, cause it's a pure file operation,
> no other hardware is used, like with a CD.

Yes, supporting multiple concurrent decode threads is possible if you
create a FLAC decoder for each thread.  Aifffffs creates a decoder per
opened file so can take advantage multi-threading when there's >1 CPU.

Aside, I'm not sure if this is still relevant to fuse-devel.  Mail me
off list if there's further discussion about FLAC.

Regards,

Mike