List:       fuse-devel
Subject:    Re: [fuse-devel] strace issue
From:       Miklos Szeredi <miklos () szeredi ! hu>
Date:       2010-08-02 13:28:46

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010, Xavier Toth wrote:
> I've been playing with a sample passthru filesystem which works fine
> but when I use strace it gets an EPERM error on the mount and fails.
> Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon? I'm running fuse 2.8.4 on
> FC13.

"strace -f ..." will fail, because /usr/bin/fusermount needs to be
suid root and tracing it will make it execute without the setuid.

One workaround is to run as root (if that's not desirable, you can use
the -u option of strace).  Another is to attach strace after it has
already mounted the filesystem with "strace -p PID ..."

Thanks,
Miklos