List:       fuse-devel
Subject:    Re: [fuse-devel] Fuse stalls on futex on 2.6.18 Kernel
From:       Jochen Roderburg <roderburg () uni-koeln ! de>
Date:       2009-09-13 14:42:27

Miklos Szeredi <miklos@...> writes:

> On Mon, 7 Sep 2009, Jochen Roderburg wrote:
> > Looks similar to what I see on my Linux (kernel 2.6.30. glibc 2.7,
> > fuse 2.8.0).  A fuse mount seems to succeed, but every process
> > trying to access the mountpoint hangs forever.
>
> Does this happen for all filesystems?  Can you start "fusexmp -d ..."
> and send the output?

Hi Miklos,

Thanks for trying to help with this problem.

It happens with all fuse mounts that I tried.

The application which brought me in connection with fuse is an utility vdfuse
which is supposed to mount virtual disk images as used by the VirtualBox
virtualization software. When it did not work I focused on the fuse system
itself. First I found that there was a newer version 2.8.0 than the 2.7.x I had
installed sometimes before, but that did not change anything. I then made some
experiments with the fuse example programs hello and fusexmp and saw the same
behaviour.

A  "fusexmp -d /mnt/fuse"  outputs:

FUSE library version: 2.8.0
nullpath_ok: 0
unique: 1, opcode: INIT (26), nodeid: 0, insize: 56
INIT: 7.11
flags=0x0000003b
max_readahead=0x00020000
   INIT: 7.12
   flags=0x00000011
   max_readahead=0x00020000
   max_write=0x00020000
   unique: 1, success, outsize: 40

I don't know if this helps much.  :-(

In another part of this thread you recommended a test with strace. I did this
with the commandline mentioned there and, surprise, now it suddenly worked. A
closer look showed that there was a parameter -s (disable multi-threaded
operation) included and this seems to be an important point. Intermediate result
now: single-threaded operation works, multi-threaded operation hangs the clients.

Therefore I made the strace test now without the -s. I'll send you the output in
direct personal mail. I access the fuse mailing list via the gmane web interface
and I do not see that/how I could attach larger files here.

Another person also reported here that he had more success with a kernel module
built from the fuse sources instead of the one included in his kernel sources. I
could also try this, but that needs some more preparations on my end.

Best regards,
Jochen Roderburg