List:       fuse-devel
Subject:    Re: [fuse-devel] Fuse and umask
From:       Miklos Szeredi <miklos () szeredi ! hu>
Date:       2009-09-11 14:50:01

On Thu, 10 Sep 2009, Michael Terry wrote:
> Hello, gentle fuse developers!
>
> In the course of investigating a fuse Ubuntu bug [1], I realized that
> the umask fuse option didn't quite work like I expected.
>
> '-o umask=' seems to:
> (A) have an odd display bug because of a missing ampersand (see [1]) and

It's a feature not a bug.  Notice, how other filesystems like msdos
also use -oumask mount option in this sense.

> (B) not actually affect the permissions of the fuse user.  That is, a
> umask of 444 will (with or without the display bug fixed) still allow
> the fuse user the same exact read permissions as the underlying file
> would.

That is also a feature.  Unless the '-odefault_permissions' option is
given the filesystem is responsible for permission checking (which
sshfs duly does: you can only access the filesystem according to your
permissions on the server side).

> I would have entered a bug in your bug tracker, but I didn't see one
> linked from your main page or your sourceforge project page?  Did I fail
> at that, or is this mailing list the correct place?

This is the right place.

Thanks,
Miklos