List:       fuse-devel
Subject:    Re: [fuse-devel] curlftpfs and streaming writes (was FUSE and
From:       nf2 <nf2 () scheinwelt ! at>
Date:       2007-11-29 23:49:23

Miklos Szeredi wrote:
>> i think this is only solvable by extending the file-system interface:
>> allowing open() and lseek() to fail with ENOTSUP. i guess that's already
>> possible and "just" requires some documentation in the libc manual.
>>

> Lots of things are possible, but here I think your expectation, that
> apps will adapt to ftpfs is not a realistic one.

What's the big deal if some applications can't save on ftpfs and display
an error message when you hit the save button. FTP is not compatible
with all file access modes - why shouldn't we be honest about that fact.

i just changed ftpfs to return ENOTSUP on open(O_RDWR) and tested some apps:

Kate, KWrite, Gimp, Inkscape, Nautilus (copying, moving files), VIM,
NANO and Midnight Commander still work. I guess most KDE apps still work
- because KIO doesn't encourage random file access.

Unfortunately GEdit, DIA and Openoffice don't work, but as soon as they
switch to a better abstraction layer (GIO), they probably would.

I could live without GEdit on ftpfs (as there are lots of other
editors), but Openoffice would certainly be nice.

> But hey, you can prove me wrong.  I just thing that _that_ ftpfs is
> not the same ftpfs that provides the expected file semantics.
>
> So if you want to go this way, I'd suggest to at least optionally
> provide buffering so that people may enable it if they want, dispite
> it's problems.

I agree, optionally enabling buffering should still be possible...
Perhaps with a warning message that people should be careful with big files.

Norbert