List:       fuse-devel
Subject:    Re: [fuse-devel] Bottleneck when using fuse_loop() instead of
From:       Vlad <vladc6 () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2007-10-09 0:12:06

Hi,

--- Miklos Szeredi <miklos@szeredi.hu> wrote:
> > Is there any way to avoid these slow bottlenecks when using
> > fuse_loop()?
>
> With the high level lib, the only way to solve this is by having
> multiple parallel threads.  You can do that by using fuse_loop_mt()
> instead of fuse_loop().

Thank you for the explanation. Changing fuse_loop() to fuse_loop_mt()
in the fusexmp_loop.c example fixed the bottleneck. However, when I
tried using fuse_loop_mt() in KioFuse (the application I'm working
on), it froze after giving the following error:

QObject::startTimer: timers cannot be started from another thread

I guess I'll have to turn KioFuse into a multi-threaded application by
using QThread or ThreadWeaver. Do you know of any existing
multi-threaded FUSE filesystems that I can use as examples?

> If multi-threading is out of the question, then the other
> possibility
> is to use the low level interface, and implement a custom event loop
> with poll() or select().

I think I'll give multi-threading a try and come back to poll() and
select() if that doesn't work out.

Thanks,
Vlad