List:       fuse-devel
Subject:    Re: [fuse-devel] cvs /bin/mount might not be there
From:       Csaba Henk <csaba-ml () creo ! hu>
Date:       2007-01-07 21:25:55

On 2007-01-01, Szakacsits Szabolcs <szaka@sienet.hu> wrote:
>> The user simply creates his own mount command,
>
> He can't create programs which are owned by other/priviledged users.
> Perhaps this fact could be used as a security measure.

FUSE itself is the counterexample :)

When you mount a FUSE fs your fs daemon can freely choose ownership
and permission for the files it serves.

I don't claim that not hardcoding the mount util would be easily
exploitable because of this -- fusermount can't take an executable from
under a FUSE mount unless "allow_other" was used, and get fusermount to
use two different mount programs in sequel might not be possible for an
ordinary user --  but the gap between such a practice and having a
security hole is probably not as big as you suggest.

Csaba